Box Office Assistant
The Key Theatre is Peterborough's leading theatre presenting a varied, year round programme of plays, musicals, concerts, pantomime, comedy and other attractions. The Theatre is operated by Vivacity Culture and Leisure who manage many venues as well as festivals throughout Peterborough.
We are looking for a highly motivated, customer focused individual to join our busy Key Theatre Box Office team. Within this role you will be delivering high quality customer service to visitors of the Theatre by using your excellent communications skills and attention to detail, both face to face and over the telephone.
The role also includes an element of marketing to update content on our website, mailing of information from the Key Theatre, updating our Social Media channels and ensuring the foyer area of the Theatre is tidy at all times, well presented and stocked with relevant information about upcoming shows.
- To ensure the smooth and efficient running of the Box Office
- As the first point of contact, ensuring that excellent customer service is provided at all times
- Implementation of Box Office procedures in conjunction with the Operations Manager
- Loading of shows, courses, external events and price structures, selling tickets, monitoring sales
- Ensuring the needs of casual staff are met with regards to welfare and staff training
- Dealing with complaints in accordance with procedure to ensure customer satisfaction
Control procedures and systems
- Implement procedures and control systems to ensure adequate security of cash and sales in conjunction with the Operations Manager
- Reconcile daily takings with computer generated reports and investigate any discrepancies, creating new systems as requested.
- Completion of daily/weekly financial systems for banking and production of financial reports in preparation for secure cash collection in the absence of Operations Assistant
- Checking of web bookings and payments taken, investigating in any errors found
Setting up shows
- Collate all information needed to set up shows on the Box Office booking system and Vivacity’s website
- Set up performances on the booking system and website to deadline, to ensure maximisation of the sales period and ensuing revenues
- Review and update show content on the website to ensure accuracy at all times
- Preparation of weekly sales report for presenting to Visiting Companies
- To maintain an up-to-date level of product knowledge relevant to the current programme of events, services and activities at the designated venues and to appraise Box Office casual staff accordingly
- Uploading show information onto social media to increase publicity and awareness of shows to Key Theatre followers
- Provide regular details of advance and matured bookings as requested
- Monitor sales and advise of under achieving performances
- Mailshots and telesales drives as directed
- Liaising with Visiting Companies and providing them with weekly sales updates
Staff and Supervision
- Monitor training needs and ensure that all staff are adequately trained and competent in the use of the Box Office computer system
Tickets/ Stock/ Marketing Material
- Take delivery of, log display and distribute print as required
- To maintain print room, dispose of any old print as necessary, advising on the stock of envelopes etc for mailshots
- Monitor ticket levels and other Box Office supplies
- To co-operate with other departments of Vivacity and the Key Theatre in order to ensure that effective and efficient communications are established and maintained
- To accurately and effectively carry out all aspects of administration and record keeping as may be determined by the management of the Key Theatre.
- To be responsible for the Box Office floats and to ensure that any transactions taken through the Box Office are handled securely in accordance with policy
- To monitor and highlight any issues with the performance of the booking system. Using the test system to check new procedures and updates prior to going live
- Review daily the Key Theatre inbox, responding or redirecting email enquiries and complaints
- To attend training courses, both internal and external, as determined by the management of the Key Theatre
- To regularly and promptly attend such meetings as may be required
- To be responsible for the correct use and security of all tools, materials, equipment, information, documents and cash which are used to perform the duties outlined
- To liaise with the Key Theatre Club Chairman, to load new activities to be sold through the Box Office, update with sales figures, send out Newsletters and emails as necessary
- To prepare and send out monthly invoices to agents taking external bookings on behalf of the Key Theatre
- To liaise with the restaurant regarding sales and reservations of pre-theatre meals
- Other tasks commensurate with the overall purpose for the post
- Flexibility with regards to working hours and job roles
- At all times adhere to the Equal Opportunity Policy of the Vivacity Culture and Leisure Trust Limited
- To adhere to the instructions and policies determined by the management of the Key Theatre and Vivacity Culture and Leisure Trust Limited
- Good IT skills
- At least 1 years’ experience in the use of bookings systems within an entertainment/hospitality industry
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to organise others’ workloads
- Excellent customer service skills in working with the public
- Cash handling and reconciliation
- Working as part of a team
Desirable – Qualifications
GCSE Grade C or equivalent in Maths and English
- You will need excellent communication and interpersonal skills and have an ambitious and positive approach to your work
- You will have the ability to problem solve quickly and independently
- You will need to be persuasive and able to build relationships with both internal and external parties
- Ability to stay calm and work under pressure in a busy environment.
- An interest and enthusiasm for the areas in which Vivacity operates
- Team Player – ability to multi-task, help others and be able to ask for help, supervising staff when necessary
- Good organisational skills – working across the service and with competing demands
- Methodical – ability to follow process and procedure
- Accurate – in calculating, recording and checking of work
The post holder will be required to have a flexible approach to working hours, with requirements to work evenings and weekends.
Vivacity is committed to Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will undertake relevant checks including DBS checks where appropriate.